Dutch Winter Tips
17 July 2020
Snert - Traditional Dutch Split Pea Soup
It is cold and rainy in Sydney! This traditional Dutch snert recipe can keep you warm in cold weather, so perfect to enjoy throughout the colder months in Australia. Did you know that snert should be so thick that you can stand a spoon upright in it?
- 400 grams split peas
- 1 union
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 celeriac
- 1 fresh leek
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 rookwurst (Aldi, Berg Dutch Style Rookwurst)
- Salt & pepper
- Boil the split peas for 45 minutes in 2 litre water. Stir occasionally to scoop out the foam.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the union, leek and celery. Cut the carrot and celeriac into 1cm chunks. Cut the rookwurst into slices.
- Add the union, leek, celery, carrot and celeriac to the pan. Cook the vegetable mix for 30 minutes.
- Add the rookwurst slices into the soup for the last 5 minutes and bring to taste with salt & pepper.